HUMILITY – Week 2: 3/17 – 3/23
Lent is a time to identify with Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Each week you will go through a rhythm of looking to Christ, thinking about Christ, living like Christ, and worshipping Christ. Spend the week reading, reflecting, praying, and going to do likewise. Then come and celebrate together.
Look to Christ: Confession (Monday)
Read Isaiah 53:1-3
Jesus, help me to be as humble as you. You did not draw attention to yourself except to point people to God. You did not boast about your position or your abilities or your accomplishments. Forgive me for my pride, arrogance, and selfishness. I am sorry I put myself above you and my vain treatment of others. Jesus, not only were you humble in spirit but in your humility you lifted and encouraged others. You did not come as a king but as a servant; not to be served but to serve others. Help me to be like you and do as you do.
Think about Christ (Contemplation)
Read Philippians 2:1-11
Submission expressed Jesus’ humility. He yielded to authority with wilingness and approval. He volunteered. He was not forced. Jesus submitted to God’s plan of salvation, surrendering his equality in obedience, and took on the appearance of men. And even beyond just having this form, Jesus submitted to the point of death. 1) Do you insist on your way, hence revealing your pride? 2) What is your attitude when given orders or instruction? Do you absorb injustice so that God may exalt you in his time?
Live as Christ (Commission)
• Change your communication this week; season it with grace. Be quick to listen and slow to speak.
• Do something, or give up doing something, that doesn’t elevate your pride, ego or status.
• Serve someone so he/she may be elevated or restored.
• Give up something you may feel entitled to so others may be blessed.
• Obey the instructions of your parents or others in legitimate authority.